Delivery & Pick-Up is available 7am – 8pm while dining-rooms throughout Illinois are Closed
The Medici, originally a gallery and coffee house, was located behind the Green Door bookshop in Hyde Park. Hans Morsbach bought it in 1962 for $1,750. While it remains one of the best coffee houses in the city, the Medici has long offered a full menu. Though it was not easy, and sometimes the odds were long, the Medici grew from humble beginnings to Hyde Park’s largest restaurant. The Medici staff and I are grateful for the loyalty and support of our customers who allowed us to become a success. The Medici is now located on 57th Street between Kimbark and Kenwood Avenues near the University of Chicago campus. We are a two building operation with the combined Bakery & Delicatessen located just east of the Restaurant. Check out our extensive and eclectic menus!
What is the Medici doing to mitigate Virus Spread (besides washing our hands very frequently)?
- added a hospital grade disinfectant that kills SARS-CoV-2 and we’re using it everywhere including to wipe down menus, tables, countertops, condiments, etc.
- added an alcohol based hand sanitizer to customer areas
- increased hand sanitizer availability for staff
- added disposable hand towels to our bathrooms so that doors and sinks can be turned off without direct contact
- directed all staff to stay home if they exhibit any signs of illness per CDC guidelines
- removed most of our pre-packaged items from direct customer contact
What are we asking of our Customers?
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well
- If you need to sneeze or blow your nose, please use a disposable napkin or tissue and dispose of it in a waste basket yourself, then use hand sanitizer or wash your hands
- Be respectful of other guests and their surrounding space, staying at least 6-feet away
- Please be patient with us. It may take a little longer to deliver menus as we are disinfecting them after every use.
- Understand that we may be operating with a limited staff as we ask any Medici employee who is feeling ill to stay home.
- Please consider using our on-line portal so that cash and credit cards don’t need to be exchanged
- Remember we are all a part of this community. Even if your symptoms are mild, you can pass the virus to others who may not be so lucky.
- Keep informed and up to date on the newest most accurate information. There is a lot of misinformation out there. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Be Safe. Stay Healthy. Be Good Community Members.
Together we can get through this!