- Amlodipine oral tablet is available as a brand-name drug and a generic drug. Brand name: Norvasc.
- Amlodipine comes only as a tablet you take by mouth.
- Amlodipine oral tablet is used to treat high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, and angina.
Amlodipine oral tablet may cause extreme sleepiness. It can also cause other side effects.
More common side effects
The more common side effects that can occur with amlodipine include:
If these effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side effects
Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects. Call 911 if your symptoms feel life-threatening or if you think you’re having a medical emergency. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Low blood pressure. Symptoms can include:
- severe dizziness
- More chest pain or a heart attack. When you first start taking amlodipine or increase your dosage, your chest pain may get worse or you may have a heart attack. Symptoms can include:
- chest pain or discomfort
- upper body discomfort
- shortness of breath
- breaking out in a cold sweat
- unusual tiredness
Disclaimer: Our goal is to provide you with the most relevant and current information. However, because drugs affect each person differently, we cannot guarantee that this information includes all possible side effects. This information is not a substitute for medical advice. Always discuss possible side effects with a healthcare provider who knows your medical history.
- Liver problems warning: Amlodipine is processed by your liver. If your liver isn’t working well, more of this drug may stay in your body longer. This puts you at risk for more side effects. If you have severe liver problems, your doctor may give you a lower dosage.
- Heart problems warning: If you have heart problems, such as narrowing of your arteries, this drug may increase your risk of health problems. You may have low blood pressure, worse chest pain, or a heart attack after starting or increasing your dose of amlodipine. If this happens, call your doctor or go to the emergency room right away.
Amlodipine is a prescription drug. It comes as a tablet you take by mouth.
Amlodipine is available as the brand-name drug Norvasc. It’s also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less than the brand-name version. In some cases, they may not be available in every strength or form as the brand-name drug.
Amlodipine may be taken in combination with other heart medications.
Why it’s used
Amlodipine is used to lower your blood pressure. It can be used alone or in combination with other heart medications.
Amlodipine is also used to help blood flow more easily to your heart when the arteries in your heart are blocked.
Amlodipine is also used to treat coronary artery disease and angina (chest pain).
How it works
Amlodipine belongs to a class of drugs called